THE BIAS RESPONSE TEAM
Creating and maintaining a respectful and welcoming environment for all to live, learn, work and thrive is a priority at the University of Michigan. The Division of Student Life has a group of professional staff, called the Bias Response Team, who focus on the response and management of bias incidents involving U-M students. The Bias Response team is committed to providing support for students who have been targets of or impacted by a bias incident. They work to ensure that appropriate university resources and expertise are consulted and utilized as incidents impacting students and the community occur.
The Bias Response Team (BRT) is comprised of representatives from the following units:
- Dean of Students Office (Chair)
- Office of Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs (MESA)
- University Housing, Diversity and Inclusion
- Office of Student Conflict Resolution (OSCR)
- Office for Institutional Equity (OIE)
- Office of the Vice Provost for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS)
This team may include other University representatives as needed, including students, staff or faculty from academic schools and colleges, human resources, other administrative areas, and/or community representatives who serve U-M students.
WHAT IS A BIAS INCIDENT?
A bias incident is conduct that discriminates, stereotypes, excludes, harasses or harms anyone in our community based on their identity (such as race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age or religion).
HOW TO REPORT AN INCIDENT
There are several ways you can report a bias incident, either experienced or witnessed. The staff at these offices are trained to be sensitive to student, staff and community concerns.
- The Bias Incident Reporting Line: 734-615-BIAS (2427)
- The Division of Public Safety & Security: 734-763-1131
- The Office of Institutional Equity: 734-763-0235
Online: Submit a report online by using this form.
- In residence halls, contact your Resident Advisor, Diversity Peer Educator or Hall Director.
- Visit the Dean of Student’s Office on the third floor of the Union (Suite 3000).
We encourage you to use these resources to report incidents and to encourage others to report them if they have been the target of bias behavior. How to report a Bias Incident (PDF)
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
After you report an incident, a member of the Bias Response Team will contact you to set up a meeting to discuss what happened and offer additional support and assistance. You will learn about your rights as a U-M community member and what response options are available. With your input, a plan of action will be created and implemented with follow-up.
Bias Incident Log
The Bias Response Team updates a log on a weekly basis to provide the U-M community with information on the types of incidents that are happening on campus, where they are happening and what actions have been taken to address them.
View the Bias Incident Log