Fire Safety


The Ann Arbor Fire Department (AAFD) provides emergency services including fire suppression, vehicle extrication, medical response, hazardous materials, water/ice rescue and technical rescue 24 hours per day. AAFD also responds to non-emergency requests and offers fire prevention, inspection and public education services.

For Police, Fire, and Medical Emergencies… Call 9-1-1
For non-emergencies…

Call (734) 764-6961


Consider these tips from AAPD to prevent a fire in your house or apartment. For more information, visit

  1. In case of fire: Plan and practice two escape routes out of every room in preparation for any emergency. If your clothes catch on fire, immediately STOP, DROP and ROLL. If you must escape through smoke, crawl to the nearest safe exit. Get out immediately – do not stop for personal items or to call for help. Notify others as you leave by knocking on doors and yelling, “FIRE!” Get to a safe location outside the building, and then call 911 if you are able.
  1. Smoke detectors save lives. Do not remove the batteries for any other use, or if you are annoyed by the alarm. Be sure to test your smoke detectors monthly and replace batteries as instructed.
  1. Use electricity safely: If an appliance starts smoking, has an unusual smell, or causes a fuse to blow, unplug it immediately – it may be malfunctioning and should be repaired. Replace any frayed or cracked electrical cords. Take care not to overload outlets with multiple outlet adapters and extension cords. Avoid running cords under carpets or rugs. Remember that a blown fuse is a warning the electrical system is overloaded or an appliance is malfunctioning.
  1. Cooking precautions: Never leave cooking unattended, and always use a timer or alarm when cooking. Never put foils or other metals in microwave ovens. Do not put papers, boxes, plastic or anything other than cookware on gas/electric burners and be cautious when wearing loose fitting clothing around the burners. Do not use water on grease or electrical fires.
  1. Take care when smoking: Carelessly discarded cigarettes are the leading cause of fire deaths in the U.S. Never smoke in bed or while you are drowsy because dropped embers may start fires. Provide large, deep ashtrays for smokers and do not empty them until absolutely certain that any smoldering embers have been thoroughly extinguished.
  1. Commonly used items: Be sure to clean out dryer lint often and do not let mail stack up, as these items easily catch fire. Do not place grills on wooden porches or under overhangs, where fires may start. Upholstered furniture, trash receptacles, and trash are very flammable and should not be left on or near porches. Do not leave halogen lamps unattended near flammable objects or cover lamps with fabric or paper for decorative purposes. Portable space heaters also must be kept at least three feet away from anything potentially flammable, and never leave space heaters on when you leave home or go to bed.
  1. Candles are an open flame: Place candles on sturdy holders that will not tip or burn and position them far away from curtains and other flammable items. Never leave burning candles unattended and contain candles within glass receptacles if possible. In emergencies such as power outages, use flashlights, which are safer and more dependable.
  1. Fire extinguishers are a handy precaution: Keep a small, inexpensive fire extinguisher on hand at all times. Most apartment buildings are equipped with hallway fire extinguishers, but it is a good idea to invest in your own personal one. An “ABC” dry chemical extinguisher can be used on any kind of fire. These can be purchased at Meijer, Target, Walmart, and most hardware stores.
  1. If you smell natural gas: Gas leaks are a serious fire safety hazard. If you smell gas, avoid any open flames. Do not turn electrical switches on or off, or light matches or cigarettes. Open windows and doors to air out your home, and then get out. Call your gas utility supplier and/or the fire department from an outside phone and let them know that there is a gas leak. Do not reenter your home until your utility supplier has checked and fixed the problem.
  1. Protecting personal belongings: It is a good idea to obtain renter’s insurance, if belongings are not already covered by your parent’s insurance policy, because landlord’s insurance will not usually reimburse tenant(s) for personal property destroyed by fire or other hazards. Renter’s insurance can be easily obtained from many local insurance agencies and is relatively inexpensive.