Many students experience difficult situations and personal concerns while in college. The number of students seeking assistance for mental health concerns has increased significantly in recent years. College can be a stressful time. Balancing all of life’s demands such as coursework, social connections, and family can be overwhelming. The University of Michigan has resources available to assist and support students who are experiencing mental health distress.
Need help?The Dean of Students Office (DOS) is a great place to start. DOS is a central place for students, parents, faculty, and staff to seek assistance in navigating the complex issues of campus life. Our team provides direct support to students or student groups experiencing situations impacting their Michigan experience, identifies available resources, and coordinates the appropriate response. Our goal is to promote a safe, respectful, healthy, and inclusive campus community for all students at the University of Michigan.
We can help you address:
- Crisis/Emergency Situations
- Off-Campus Housing Concerns
- Academic Difficulties
- Financial Hardship
- Concern for the Wellbeing of Others
- Physical Illness/Injury
- Food Insecurity & Basic Needs
- Campus Climate Concerns
- Navigating Pregnancy or Parenting as a Student
Experiencing something not listed here?Reach out anyway. We will work with students, faculty, staff, and parents/families to find the best resources and services to support student success and wellbeing.
- Email the DOS at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or Call DOS at 734-764-7420
How to report to the Dean of StudentsThere are several ways you can request support for a student of concern to the Dean of Students Office. Please note that the more information you provide, the better we will be able to assist the student in need. If you do not provide identifying information or contact information, there may be little that can be done to follow up with you or the student of concern.
- Online - Submit a “Student Support Request” form online using this link. Please do not use this form to report emergencies or time-sensitive requests. Submissions are reviewed when University offices are open, and will be responded to within one business day.
- By Phone - Call the Dean of Students Office at 734-764-7420 to request support during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm). If it is after business hours, leave a message and a staff member will get back with you by the next business day.
- By Email - Email the Dean of Students Office at email@example.com to request support during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm). If it is after hours, a staff member will get back with you by the next business day.
What happens when I contact DOS?You can contact DOS by email or by phone, whichever method works best for you. A member of the Student Support/Critical Incident Response Team will communicate with you to gather basic information about your concerns. The team member will discuss options for addressing the behavior, including steps that you can take and steps the team member can take on you or the student’s behalf. Our team is knowledgeable of University policies, procedures, and community life. We work with individual students, student groups, parents, staff, and faculty to address conflicts, help address barriers impacting a student’s pursuit of educational goals, and can connect students with campus and community resources that promote restoration and success. Team members work cooperatively with students to identify strategies to address areas of concern and assist in developing a plan to move forward.
If this is an emergency, call 911 or UMPD at 734-763-1131.
- To learn more, please contact DOS by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 734-764-7420.