Mental Health Assistance

Many college students experience mental health distress or illness while away from family support. The rigors of their studies, navigating autonomous self-care, and life changes may be contributing factors. First symptoms of some genetic mental health disorders also typically appear for the first time in this age group. The University of Michigan offers students many types of services and resources, from self-help guides to individual treatment. Dean of Students staff members are able to guide students, parents, spouses, faculty and staff to a number of supportive options. Contacting the Dean of Students office offers an opportunity to connect students with necessary services and support. Community and campus resources are listed below.

If you have an immediate concern for your or a student’s personal safety, dial 911.

The main non-emergency number for the University of Michigan Police Department is (734) 763-1131.

The University of Michigan and Ann Arbor first respondents are the primary response system for students experiencing suicidal feelings or behaviors, including making statements about intending suicide. The University of Michigan Healthcare System (UMHS) includes a psychiatric emergency room (PES). 911 responders assist students with transport to PES for immediate assistance and evaluation. Additional hospitals in the Ann Arbor area are also available for students.


Campus Mental Health Service Providers:

University of Michigan Psychiatric Emergency Service (PES) is available 24/7/365 for psychiatric emergencies.
Phone: (734) 996-4747
Crisis phone service: 734-936-5900

University Health Services (UHS) physicians are available to help with evaluation of mental health symptoms and medical treatment when needed. Addiction and recovery support needs are also supported. UHS physicians are able to make a referral for specialized mental health or addiction and recovery services when necessary. Enrolled students may be seen at no cost by UHS staff.
Phone: 734-764-8320

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) counselors offer free short term mental health care for enrolled UM students. They also assist with referrals to community providers for longer term care on a sliding scale fee basis, when needed.  CAPS website offers a wealth of information that is helpful to students, parents, faculty, and other concerned persons.
Phone: (734) 764-8312

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) staff help students with diagnosed medical and mental health conditions to obtain learning accommodation services essential to student success.
Phone: 734-763-3000


Additional mental health online information and resources: