Laptops and other portable electronic devices are easy targets for theft. The University of Michigan Police Department (UMPD) offers a free Laptop Registration Program to members of the campus community to deter theft and assist in the recovery of stolen property. If a registered laptop (or other electronic device) is lost or stolen – and then recovered – UMPD can identify its owner and return the item.
Once you register your device online, you will receive two stickers in the mail: a larger sticker that acts as a theft deterrent for the top of the laptop and a smaller registration sticker for the bottom. This second sticker is manufactured to be difficult to remove and will leave a trace of its existence on the laptop.
How to sign up:
- Go to dpss.umich.edu
- Select ‘Register Your Laptop’
- Log in with your uniqname and password
- Select ‘Enter New Item’
- Enter your personal and laptop information
In addition to the Laptop Registration Program, a cost-effective method to deter theft is to physically attach your laptop to furniture or other sturdy place. Most laptops have a Universal Security Slot (USS) to which you can attach a specially made security cable. If your laptop does not have a USS slot, then a laptop cable with an adhesive pad will work as well.
- Never leave your laptop unattended
- Keep your laptop out of sight; store it when it is not being used
- Label your accessories and carrying case
- Password protect your laptop and other portable electronic devices