Student Emergency Funds

If you are facing financial hardship due to an unforeseen situation, the Dean of Students Office (DOS) stands ready to assist you. 

Dean of Students Office Emergency Funds are available to students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses due to temporary hardship related to an unforeseen or emergency situation. Our goal is to provide flexible assistance in a timely manner to help students continue successfully in school. Normally students are not eligible for DOS emergency funding more than once in an academic year.

The Dean of Students Office will review all requests for emergency funds but may not be able to cover all expenses. In these cases, DOS staff will work with students to identify other available resources and/or alternative solutions to their needs.



  1. Undergraduate and graduate students are welcome to apply

  2. Students must be currently enrolled at the University of Michigan – Ann Arbor (exceptions are handled on a case-by-case basis)

Expenses Generally Covered

Examples of expenses for which emergency funds could be available include (but are not limited to):

  • Food insecurity

  • Rent (normally one month) and/or utility bills due to lost wages or other unexpected financial hardship

  • Travel expenses to return home due to a family death or other emergency

  • Emergency medical treatment/medication when the student has no ability to pay and the costs cannot be covered by insurance

  • Emergency temporary lodging for students who find themselves homeless or unsafe in their current dwelling

  • Personal belongings lost in a fire, flood, or other disaster impacting a student’s home

Supporting Documentation

Eligibility for funding is determined in consultation with the Office of Financial Aid (OFA). As such, OFA requires documentation for certain expenses in order to approve funds or increase a student’s Cost of Attendance for many of the emergency needs students are facing. Supporting documentation (receipts) is needed for the following expenses:

  • Travel (i.e. plane ticket, U-Haul rental, train)

  • Technology (i.e. laptop, WiFi card, internet)

  • Medical Expenses (i.e. procedure, medication)

  • Car repairs

Expenses Generally Not Covered

Emergency funds generally do not cover:

  • Expenses due to lack of financial planning

  • Outstanding debt (to the university or otherwise)

  • Tuition and other university fees

  • Legal fees and court costs

If a student’s request cannot be funded by the Dean of Students Office, DOS staff will work with the student to determine if there are other options available. DOS will also consult with other campus resources such as CEW+, Rackham, and the student’s school/college to determine eligibility for funding from that unit.


Eligibility Verification and Other Resources

To apply for funding, contact the Dean of Students Office by phone (734-764-7420), email ([email protected]), or by coming into the office during 8am to 5pm business hours to talk with a staff member. Students may be asked to provide supporting documentation of expenses as necessary and required by the Office of Financial Aid. Prior to granting funding, the Dean of Students Office will work with the Office of Financial Aid to determine a student's eligibility to receive aid based on their current funding.

The amount of time for the approval process is on a case-by-case basis.  If all information and documentation is present, the process may take less time, but if more information or documentation is needed it may take longer.

Normally funds are disbursed to a student’s account within 1-2 business days of the funding approval. Emergency funds will generally appear in a student’s bank account in 2-3 business days from when they are disbursed. The Office of Financial Aid will disburse the emergency funds to the student’s bank account (if direct deposit has been set up) or by check to the student’s listed address. If mailed, the check will generally arrive within a few business days but is subject to factors such as holidays and distance. 

Students may also seek emergency funding assistance through their school or college or other campus unit/department. These resources can be found on the Office of the Provost website.